There is no specific diet is recommended by the health care providers for patient with fibromyalgia. Patients should maintain a healthy balanced diet high in fiber and low in animal fat, with plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits and plenty of whole grains. The diet for fibromyalgia requires paying attention to what one eats, how much, and how well one eat. The basis of fibromyalgia diet should be formed by the following healthy eating guidelines:
Avoid fruits, meats and vegetables that are artificially produced with herbicides, fertilizers, pesticides, steroids and fungicides.
- Maintain a well balanced food composition of healthy plant fats, vegetable protein, complex carbohydrates, lean animal protein and essential fatty acids.
- Drink 8-12 glasses of distilled or purified water.
- Remove chemicals, additives and artificial ingredients from nutritional plan
- Avoid sugar, caffeine and many unnecessary medicines from diet as possible
- Eat a variety of foods in a sufficient amount and combinations to help that one is ingesting a wide range of essential minerals, fatty acids and vitamins.
- Eat sufficient quantity of foods throughout the day as often as every three or four hours
- Avoid fast food and junk food
Patients with fibromyalgia should eat a healthy balanced diet for long-term benefits. The following items also avoided by the patients with fibromyalgia:
- White flour and white sugar
- Preservatives, salt and junk food
- Caffeinated teas and coffee
- Alcoholic beverages
- More exposure to ultra violets rays
- High fat dairy foods
- Fried and spicy foods
- Red meat such as cured bacon, nitrate cured, salt cured or smoked
- Soda pop, colas and carbonated beverages
- All types of tobacco
- Saccharine and NutraSweet
Patients should forget to take mineral supplements and vitamins in their diet. Vitamin C may help the immune system function better and reduce the swelling. Reactive hypoglycemia is reduced by taking chromium picolinate. Vitamin B may help to reduce the effects of stress. Zinc is very effective for proper immune function. Phosphatidyl serine and phosphatidyl may help to improve memory and decrease depression.