Rheumatoid arthritis is also known as RA, it is long-standing disease that destroys and damages the joints of the body.
- Joints inflammation causes stiffness, swelling, pain and other symptoms.
- The inflammation in the joints affects systems and other organs of the body.
- If inflammation is not reduced, it may destroy the other tissues and affect joints.
Rheumatoid arthritis is children are not only one disease, but a group of many diseases.
Symptoms and signs of rheumatoid arthritis in children
- Joints swelling, pain and stiffness
- Loss of joint function
- Joint deformity
- Eyes Pain, irritation and redness
- Lymph node swelling
- Muscle aches
- Weight loss
- Growth problems
When to seek medical advice
If someone has seen signs and symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, go to the health care providers immediately. In the following cases, people should go to the doctor:
- Limitation or loss of the function of a limb or joint.
- Eye pain, redness, irritation or sensitivity to light.
- Joint swelling, stiffness or pains, which are not due to an injury.
- Rash and fever come and go without explanation.
- Lymph node swelling.
A physical examination will be performed by the doctor to determine the signs and symptoms of the disease. Physical examination will cover affected area such as the skin, the eyes, the digestive tract and the heart. In some cases, X-rays and blood tests such as complete blood cell count, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, antinuclear antibody and rheumatoid factor will be conducted by the health care providers. The medical interview is also effective part of making a diagnosis of the disease. Doctor will ask the following information to detect the disease:
- Child’s behavior and symptoms
- Child’s medications, allergies and vaccinations
- His or her activities like games and sports
- Child’s other health diseases, accidents or injuries
- Family’s lifestyle and habits
- Family medical history
Medical treatment is helpful to reduce the signs and symptoms of the disease such as joint pain, swelling and stiffness. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are also used to reduce the swelling, inflammation and pain. These drugs are very effective to treat any type of rheumatoid arthritis. If someone uses it for long term period, it can cause side effects such as stomach pain, anemia, vomiting and nausea.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
- Naproxen (naprelan, aleve, naprosyn)
- Ibuprofen (ibuprin, advil, motrin)
Disease-modifying antirheumatic drugs
Surgery is also a very effective and an expensive treatment to treat the rheumatoid arthritis in children.