Because of the gravitational pressure being placed on nerve roots due to these conditions, the patient experiences sharp pains that shoot in their backs, legs, feet and buttocks. Through inversion therapy the person suffering is required to turn their body upside down, increasing the space and reducing the pressure between the nerve roots and the vertebrae.
The inversion table works on the same principle to provide short term pain relief to people with back injuries. As it is a table, you are able to lay your whole body upside down starting from gentle angles to more dramatic ones. While there are many ways to use an inversion table, there are several basic ways that will usually bring fast relief. Here is one easy way to use your inversion table to experience pain relief:
1. Ensure that your inversion table is well secured on flat surface and that all straps, joints and pivot points are well connected and firmly in place. To avoid serious injury, it is important that you have, and have thoroughly read through the instructional manual before using the table.
2. Wear friendly shoes like athletic shoes when using the inversion table. This way, you have extra but firm support when locking yourself on the table. It is important that you never use the table bare-footed.
3. Once you have your shoes on, get into position with your back facing the table. Step onto the table’s steps one at a time. Once in place, lean forward with your back straightened to pull the lever that will lock your feet.
4. With your feet locked in place, take the table’s straps and place them over your body. Different inversion tables are designed differently. As such strapping in will usually differ from table to table. It is important that all safety gear meant to lock you in when inverting yourself is locked in place.
5. Using the straps or handles on the side of your inversion table, push yourself into the inversion position you want.
6. When returning from your inversion, it is important that you maintain a horizontal position for a minute or two. This allows blood flow to go back to normal. Slowly return to your starting position before unstrapping yourself.
This is the most basic and safest ways to use an inversion table. However, there are several other ways these tables can be used and you can browse the video above. It is important that as you plan on using an inversion table for your back pain to seek professional advice from a therapist before starting on it.